Well the first half year has just flown by. As always for me at this time it is time to recap on the hobby work year to date.
This year has seen a bit of slowdown in actual figure work, in part because of a need to divert funds to pay for some other projects (holidays, home appliance replacements, etc) and in part because the really big projects like last year’s Crimean War and Carlist Wars projects have been completed (albeit for a few additions intended later this year to the Crimean War armies).
Much of the year’s focus has been on the preparation for our annual Tarawera weekend, of which the WWI in East Africa project is a part, and the desire to complete the Napoleonic Russians. Also completed is a small collection of Retreat from Moscow troops for my amusement that just proved irresistible. A slight diversion into Vikings and Saxons has added a little variety.
So what has been completed in the first half of the year?
Napoleonic Russians (Summer Dress)
8 x Mounted generalsJ
148 x Line Infantry
4 Guns and 8 crew
24 x Dragoons
Napoleonic Russians (Winter Dress)
18 x Line Infantry
36 x Peasants
32 x Jagers
54 x Opolchenie
2 Russian Napoleonic Guns and 8 crew
1 x Russian militia gun, 3 crew and limber
6 x Militia Cavalry
Napoleonic French (winter dress)
12 x Chasseurs a Pied of the Guard
54 x Line Infantry
44 x Viking Hirdsmen
44 x Saxon Thegns
40 x Generic levy
10 x Generic archers
WWI East Africa
48 x German Askari
2 x German Askari HMGs and 6 crew
2 x German Askari artillery and 8 crew
1 x German foot officer
3 x German Mounted
1 x Pom Pom Gun and 3 crew
1 x British Naval Officer
5 x British Navy Crew
2 x Russian Winter houses
6 x Dark Ages Houses
East African garrison post
East African Plantation House
East African Plantation out building
East African store house
4 x African Village Huts
East African general store
East African hotel
East African railway station
East African Wireless Station
WWI East African Gunboat
3 x Retreat from Moscow pieces
57 x African bush pieces
Consolidating all of this, the totals are:
589 foot figures
57 mounted figures
14 pieces of equipment
74 pieces of terrain
Converting this to the painting points concept (where a foot figures is worth 5 points, mounted and equipment 10 points each and then allowing 10 points for every 1 hour of work on a scratch built item) the total for the half year is 6,465 points.
To display this breakdown graphically:
This compares to last year’s half yearly total of 5,305 points. While the buildings and scenic items needed for the WWI in East Africa have contributed strongly to the increase in points, the number of figures painted is relatively similar (a difference of around 100). This proved to be a bit of a surprise given that I had forecast (and have achieved I might add) a significant drop in purchases this year.
So what is on the horizon? Well there are still a few outstanding items for East Africa (a couple of jungle pieces and six to eight African huts). For the Russian Napoleonics there are two regiments of cuirassiers, one of hussars, a position battery and a horse battery to be completed. For the Dark Ages there are a couple of small units of archers. That is it for existing projects.
As for new projects, there is the War of 1812, where I will create an American brigade. I am also being strongly drawn to the French in Egypt. There will also be a small expansion of the Crimean War armies. But perhaps the biggest project, that will commence probably in November, is sorting out my wargaming set-up at home, which will entail the creation of terrain tiles.
So far I have only managed eight games: three First Carlist War games, one Franco-Prussian, one English Civil War, one War of the Roses, one Napoleonic and one ancient naval. It has been a rather poor showing from me, largely because I gave not been available for a number of Friday night games. I must do better in the next six months.