Friday 20 January 2017

Russian Opolchenie Cavalry Unit

The latest unit off the painting table is this unit of Opolchenie, or militia, Cavalry from the Perrys. Yet again they have been done in a winter setting.







The command pack does not have a standard bearer so I created one, although I am not all all certain that they would have carried a standard. For the standard I used one captured off the Warlord Games chat site, which I edited in photoshop by adding a different icon image. Then the challenge came to make the standard "fly" with the rider on a cantering horse.


7 comments:

  1. Hey Mark, your Cossacks look great! Do you suppose the Russian irregular cavalry would work for mid-19th Century conflicts if I was not too worried about the correct firearm? Thinking I could use some of these for my Great Game project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Yes they probably would work. I chose to have two of them carrying firearms, but they are supposed to be slung across the back. I suspect that cossacks carried a variety of weapons. For tge Crimean War I used the Perry Ataman Cossacks from their Napolelonic range.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work on these and the previous post Mark :)
    I fear the number of cossacks I will eventually have to paint up for my Russians!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. while not technically cossacks, I suspect thehe will operate in much the same manner, my problem is going to be pretty much the opposite of yours...I fear the number of French I will have to paint to oppose the Russians and Prussians I have.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful atmosphere and lovely job!

    ReplyDelete